A Culture lesson: Quinceanera Practice

By Leslie Parks - Friday, August 04, 2017



So out of the blue Lona was asked to be a dama in a quinceneara.  She's been invited to a couple of them but has never gone.  She didn't know the girl but loosely knew one of the damas.  The girl needed another dama and so Lona said yes.  Boy has it been an eye opener.  She is the gringa of the group.  She doesn't speak spanish. It is a whole other world.  She's learning to dance and has a partner. We bought the dress, the outfit, the shoes (multiple pairs). We've driven to Lynden twice a week all summer long for practices and the week before practice we've gone to Lynden every evening except one. I have frequented the Woods there since I'm not going to drive 2 hours for a 2 hour practice. They think Lona is shy and quiet. She doesn't know this group of kids. They goof off, they tease, they call her gringa. She is outside her group. It's a good experience. She really doesn't fit in. They are nice to her but she is outside. The boys are flirts and they flirt with everyone. Sometimes they call me mom. I was at Woods when two cars of boys came screaming into the parking lot and 8 boys spilled out of the cars. I realized it was the quince boys.  I asked if it was over, nope, the girls were practicing their dance.  I asked if they would do me a favor.  One boy said he could do me two favors.  I looked at him asked what he could do for me?  He gave me the deer in the headlight look, eyes big, surprised, mouth closed.  I pulled out some money and asked if they could bring a drink back for Lona.  They told me to give the money to her boyfriend and another boy stepped up.  He was her boyfriend?  I responded to him that he didn't have enough of all that to be Lona's boyfriend.  The others had a hayday with that remark.  He said he needed a haircut.  What?  They took the drink back to her and she talked to the "boyfriend" and asked him what I said.  He told her "She said good luck and have fun."  Hahaha. I told her later and she filled me in and we had a good laugh. The boys are a little bit cocky. Sometimes they will say things and she is a little shocked. She more like the first group than the second and so she has a different perspective. She is getting an inside look at another culture within our country. Some of them live in a small farming town that was settled by the Dutch. The families are old families here. The town is split into two groups, the white, blond hair, blue eyed dutch families who have been here for 100 years and the others that come for jobs and to live in a safe small town.  The second group is about as opposite of the first as possible in almost every single way.  It's an interesting experience for her and one that I am so thankful for her to have.













  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments