An Event: Sunset

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, August 01, 2017





We rush about doing things, not looking around to notice. We glance at the sky and marvel at the sunset color but go right back to looking at pinterest, cleaning up after dinner, or putting kids to bed (when they were younger). I really don't notice the sun setting, but going on vacation gave me leave to really see the sun set and to make it a priority. I realized that it was going to be the perfect night, no clouds in the sky, the ocean waves rolling onto the sand one right after the other. People lined up on the beach waiting for the same thing I was.  Waiting and watching this large orange ball of light rapidly sinking into the ocean. It wasn't long, maybe twenty minutes, but for those twenty minutes all of us were enraptured with this one event. An event that happens every where, every single day but rarely do we take the time to watch. The first time I saw it happen, really saw it, I was amazed at how fast it really went. This time, I was excited with anticipation, wanting to share it with my husband. Sitting, watching and talking. Taking it in. Looking at the fog roll in farther down the coast, waiting and hoping for the seagulls to all rise up as the sun touches the water. At least it seemed to touch the water and sink in until we couldn't see the tip and the sky was just a glow of blues, greens and oranges. It becomes almost magical and oh so beautiful and amazing all at once that people clapped when it was totally gone. This event gave me pause to enjoy a moment in time that happens every day and to appreciate it and marvel in it and to be present. An ordinary moment that becomes an event because I took the time.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments