A Roadtrip: Day 1

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, August 26, 2017


We flew out on a Friday night after John got off work. I was looking forward to an exciting adventure.  We had four days of driving ahead of us, but it was just the two of us for four days.  It had been over a year since we have gotten away together for 1 night let alone 4 nights.  I was looking forward to not having a ton of responsibility and to relax as we explored the highways home. I had plotted a course, downloaded books and music on an iPod, found helpful roadtrip apps and reserved hotel rooms.  The most important thing on my list was a flexible attitude.  I didn't realize how much that was going to come into play on this trip. We landed in Phoenix and I called the hotel for the shuttle. "What terminal are you at?"
I was confused. This airport looked to have only one terminal. I looked around.  Yep, one terminal. I called back.  The hotel informed me that I flew into Phoenix-Mesa Gateway and they were located at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.  There was no shuttle from Gateway.  I had no idea that there were two airports in Phoenix.  It never dawned on me to check.  So, we needed to get to our hotel.  It felt like we walked into a brick wall of heat just stepping outside. Someone kindly mentioned that we take an Ubber to our hotel and where to go to get service to order an ubber.  We walk across the parking lot and cross the street to get service.  Weird but true. Our first time in an Ubber and it was pleasant.  Finally at the hotel we checked in, dumped our luggage in the room and headed to the pool after having a beer.  The next morning I woke up with a small headache.  I grabbed a snack from the hotel breakfast but the cantaloupe tasted off. My friend Jeff, from college came to pick us in my car. The plan was to go out to eat and then head out of town to Hoover Dam on our way home. By the time we had finished our meal, I had thrown up and was so sick. We had to pull over on our way to Jeff's house for me to throw up on the side of the freeway.  I couldn't believe it. I was so embarrased. This was not how it was supposed to start off. My head was pounding, the heat didn't help nor did the AC in the places. I went from hot to cold to hot. We dropped Jeff off, I said thank you. I couldn't think. I had plans for photos. I mean I hadn't seen him since we parted ways after our year at University of Idaho. We friended each other on Facebook and chatted a little via messanger or facebook posts but that was it.  I took no photos, I just curled up in the car and fell asleep.  We stopped one more time for me to throw up on our way out of Phoenix. Not in the plans. A couple of hours later we stopped and I felt much better. My headache subsided and my stomach had settled.  At Kingman we decided to take in two museums and drove maybe 100 feet on Route 66. Using Roadtrippers I had found a museum that sounded interesting and that was the Powerhouse museum.  It was a tribute to Route 66 and the nostalgia of that era. Then we went onto the Mohave Museum of History & Art. The first room we explored was one with all the Presidents and their First Ladies from George Washington to Donald Trump. I was surprised to see it up to date.  The next stop on our way was Hoover Dam and our hotel.












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments