Road Trip: Day 3 & 4

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, August 29, 2017


















Our next destination was the tri-cities. We were able to get out of Ely around 11 am the next day and we had a long way to travel to get to our next destination which was the tri-cities. Note to self, only book the first two days of a road trip and then wing it. We had plans to meet up with one of John's college friends in Boise and instead of lunch we made it for dinner. Then it was onto Oregon which we flew through and then into Washington.  I so wanted to stop at various places but we just didn't have the time. We may or may not be that way again but I'm ok with that. I would have stayed in Pendleton and then toured the Pendleton wool factory had we not booked the hotel.  However, we were committed due to the reservation and so on we went. Our last day we drove from Richland to Vantage on highway 240 and 243. It was so beautiful. There were apple and cherry orchards and vineyards all along the route. At one point, I made John stop at an apple orchard so I could take photos. Even though no trespassing was posted the pickers were kind and allowed me to take photos, just no picking. This is definitely a place I want to go back and explore a little bit more. They were harvesting so the orchards were lined with huge apple boxes. It made me want to wear flannel shirts, sweaters, and scarves. I'm looking forward to fall.  We decided to push onto Chateau Sainte Michel and have lunch there.  This has been on my bucket list for a couple of years.  It was immediately apparent that we are not part of that social sphere and John was not in his comfort zone. We joined a tour of the winery and learned to taste the wines they offered. I'm not sure I have a discriminating enough palette to really appreciate it. Unfortunately the kitchen wasn't open so our next plan was just to eat a couple of granola bars and head home. We purchased our bottle of wine and left. I hadn't realized how many wineries, distilleries, and breweries were in the immediate area. I sense another weekend adventure in this area hopefully in the next year or so.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments