Indian Beach, Oregon

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, August 03, 2017




 Every year we go to Cannon Beach we take an afternoon to visit Ecola State Park and Indian Beach.The key is to get there early enough in the day to find a parking spot.  We haul so much stuff down to the beach and it is a little of walk. Towels, skim boards, boogie boards, wet suits, snacks, cameras, shovel, buckets, and a whole lot of other stuff. We have a system, John pulls to the trail head and the rest of us jump out, haul everything and the kitchen sink out of the van while he parks the car and we make our way down to claim our little area of the beach. I think this was the nicest and hottest it's ever been while we've been there which made the water feel even colder. Thankful for the booties because my feet were frozen. Job just couldn't handle the cold and preferred to skim board but at the end he ended up running into the ocean and doing belly flops into the waves. I was dying.
 Lona was in the ocean for ever.  At first I was concerned about how far out she was but it took me going out there to be comfortable with her distance. She said her feet went numb because of the cold and she rode wave after wave. John and I took turns going out but it was too cold to stay out there as long as Lona did.
We've run into this guy everytime we come here. He unloads his surf board and attaches a strap onto it.  Getting dressed in his wet suit at the parking lot, he slathers on the sunscreen on his face and with his cane, he makes his way down to the beach. I can't remember when he said that he first started to surf but I think he's in his seventies. I can't surf now but the thought of being able to jump onto a board as it is moving at seventy is beyond me.  I look for him every year.

















  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments