Marathon Finished

By Leslie Parks - Sunday, October 07, 2007


Well, I did it!!!

I ran my marathon. 4:34 clock time, I don’t know chip time yet. My left knee hurts. It has never done this, usually it’s the right. That one is fine. It started out great. Overcast and a little breezy. I felt fine until mile 20 – 22. I think I started to go down hill from there. A couple came running up, they looked like they had run maybe 1 – 2 miles, actually I had run with them earlier in the race too. They really helped out with motivation. After about three miles they really took off. They had completed the Baker Lake Ultra Marathon yesterday. She’s almost fifty and is looking to be sponsored. This was just a casual run for them. They’ve done 100 milers, followed by 50 milers and 32 milers. I think they do this all the time. When I got done, they were just sitting there having a snack. They didn’t even look as if they ran anything. Amazing. The weather turned nasty at about mile 24. Then it was gusty winds and rain. I could feel ocean water spray over the breakers at Zuanich Park. It feels so good to be done. I guess they were expecting 600-700 people for the whole thing (10K, ½ marathon and full). They had 2500+ register. It was well laid out. I always knew where to go and there seemed to be plenty of water and heed stations. The only downer was a group of outhouses blew over at the beginning. Glad I wasn’t in them. I’m thinking of the seattle ½ marathon next month. I’ll give it a few days.

Oh yea, at 2:00 Job and Lona had a Sparky "hike" to go on. We came home, everyone changed into dry clothes, I took a bath, and got ready to go. When we got there , it was pouring rain. We walked for about 1500 meters to the lookout, turned around and headed back going through a tunnel. It took all of 1/2 and hour. We were back home by 3:00. Just about the time the race ended. I took a nap.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments