Rewards

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, March 31, 2009








For the last 10 weeks I took an amazing class: Karen Russell's Snapshots of a Good Life. This class was bout using my camera to take photos of my family; documenting the little stuff that happens between people. She covered using my camera, composition, depth of field, shutter speed, caring for my camera, holding it correctly, exposure and more. This class dealt mainly with taking photos of people. It was not a how to do portraits in a studio kind of class or landscape or night photography or macro or any of the myriad of other kinds. This was perfect for me because I really do only take photos of my kids, their friends, things we do.

There were assignments every weekend and I was able to complete them. Some of them took a while. I had to do them multiple times until I felt that I had understood the concept involved and was able to turn in my assignment. One of the more difficult assignments for was was using exposure compensation and dealing with back lighting. Back lighting is when the light is behind your subject causing your subject to be underexposed (or darker). I have struggled with that many times and yesterday when I took the kids to DQ for their reward I was able to apply what I had learned. Yahoo!!!! Now I know that there are technically other things wrong with the photos but it is coming along.
Why are the kids getting a reward? Well, I bribed them. I would have them pose for me over and over again so that I could master a technique. Some times they were quite willing and other times they just didn't want to. Buying them their own blizzard at the end of class was the perfect reward. And I had a little reward too. They were eating their blizzards and I was drinking my diet Pepsi. We were talking, laughing, listening too each other. There was an older gentlemen behind us, and I noticed him watching us. When he was done he came over and complimented the kids on their behavior. I almost started crying. Now I know my kids. And we sin just like everyone else and we have our good days of behavior and our not so good days. It just feels good when someone says something positive. I think that the kids enjoy it too. We all need encouragement sometimes and I appreciate it when it does come. Am I bragging, maybe but just want to share that rewards come in many different forms and hope to pass on to others what one little phrase can do for someone. So if there is anything you can compliment another for do it. You just never know how that can affect another person.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments