Let it snow

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, December 24, 2013


Friday we woke to our world blanketed in white and still it was coming down in big heavy wet white flakes.  It's unusual here and doesn't hang around for long.  John came downstairs to hear the school district leave a message on our answering machine saying school would be delayed for two hours.  If they were going to go to school, the time to play in the snow was now at 6:00 in the morning.  I roused the willing ones up and they headed outside while I made cinnamon rolls.  Oh, not from scratch but the kind that pops out of a can.  Easy enough.  When I looked outside I realized that they were playing soccer.  Really, they have all year to play and when it snows is the time they voluntarily kick the ball around. Next time I looked out they had taken the Styrofoam cooler that Isaac receives his medication in and used it as a mold for the snow bricks they were making.  They had out the wheel barrow to collect snow and place in the middle of the driveway.  That was their quarry.  They packed the cooler and were working on the first layer when I brought out our large electric water pot.  I placed it on a TV tray along with powdered hot cocoa, Styrofoam cups and plastic lids.  They had everything they needed to keep playing in the snow.  Next time I looked out the window, there were almost every neighborhood kid in our front yard, building on the fort, throwing snowballs or playing with the sleds.  The best thing, I was inside were it was peaceful and quiet and the fun was outside loud and busy.












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments